The city of Bern or Berne is the fourth most populous city in Switzerland.Has a population of 353,300.In 1983 the historic old town in the centre of Bern became a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and Bern is ranked among the world’s top ten cities for the best quality of life.Bern was occupied by French troops in 1798 during the French Revolutionary Wars, when it was stripped of parts of its territories. It regained the Bernese Oberland in 1802, and following the Congress of Vienna of 1814 newly acquired the Bernese Jura, In 1848 Bern was made the Federal City of the new Swiss federal state.
Bern is very famous for its dairy products like, butter, yoghurt, milk and of course the famous Switzerland cheese, you should not forget to taste the mouth watering chocolates of Bern.
• If you are planning to visit Bern in November you must not miss on the film festival held annually in the second week of November.
• The Bernese Fassnacht Carnival held for three days in February is one of the best times and occasions to visit Bern.
• Bern’s City Center is mainly a medieval structure and hence is recognized as a Cultural Heritage of the World by the UNESCO, if you visit Bern you must see this structure.
• You must see the Barengraben, it actually contains 4 bears two big and two young ones.
• You must visit the Rose Garden at Bern it gives you a view of the medieval town center.